Thursday, July 31, 2014

Lesson #93

Is hate a bad word?

This is something I have really been struggling with. It really strikes a nerve when I hear my kids say that they hate something. They luckily do not say this pointed phrase toward people, but it still really bothers me. I have really tried to correct them when they passionately yell that they hate a certain cereal or that they hate cleaning their rooms. I am not sure how effective I am at preventing this word from coming out of their mouths.

Today, on the way to the zoo, my 2 1/2 year old exclaimed "I hate the sun! It is in my eyes."

I had never heard him use the word until this point and it really bothered me. I asked him not to say "hate" but he repeated it a few more times.


I think the biggest issue I struggle with is the fact that this is something I have said for years. It is such a dramatic word and I am 100% guilty of using it at ridiculous times.

"I hate going to the dentist."

"I hate milk."

"I hate sitting in traffic."

"I hate folding laundry."

"I hate unloading the dishwasher."

My husband has given me a hard time about my use of this word since long before we were ever married. I didn't really see anything wrong with it at the time. But now that I have young kids, it really bothers me to hear them say it.

So, is "hate" right up there with the standard four letter words? I am not sure. I definitely try to treat it that way when I hear the kids say it. I still catch myself using it from time to time and really need to try harder to eliminate it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment