Friday, July 11, 2014

Lesson #73

They might be ungrateful but at least they are generous

Over the past several months, I have really been struggling with how to raise grateful children. I feel like my oldest two are really at the age where they can understand the concept yet seem to be missing it. I don't feel like they are spoiled but they still possess a certain sense of entitlement when it comes to getting what they want.

This week, Max decided he wanted to use some of his money that he earned folding his laundry and cleaning his room. He looked up a variety of Nerf guns and picked one he really wanted. After an excruciating 48 hours, the toy arrived. Unfortunately, it failed to impress. The defective dart shooter ended up causing an equal amount of frustration for my six-year-old and myself. We decided to send it back. I gave Max the option of ordering something else and waiting or going to Target the next day and picking from what they had. He of course could not tolerate the thought of 48 more hours so we decided on Target. He had already looked up a few options and was counting out $16.44 to pay for the toy. In addition, he counted out another $16.44 for his brother. I was floored! He wanted Miles to have a gun also but knows he is not old enough to earn his own money. I assured Max that I could cover the cost of his brother's Nerf gun so that he could keep saving his money. Max was nothing short of insistent. I didn't have the heart to use his money so I put the additional funds aside to give back down the road.



I'm not giving up on my quest to raise grateful children. It is something I know that I will have to work hard to do. But generosity is right up there on my list of must have qualities. At least I know I am on the right road with this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment