Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Lesson #91

You are never too young to meditate

We are not exactly what you call a "Zen" family. We all have a certain intensity that never seems to fade. Energy levels for the kids are often maxed out and our general chill factor is pretty nonexistent. This is great in some ways but it is also a bit exhausting as parents. I wouldn't change a thing about my kids but I would be lying if I said that the rare moments of quiet don't happen often enough.

We are blazing through what I like to call "mommy camp" this week. I have been trying to plan fun outings for the kids leading up to the end of summer. We hit up the Botanical Gardens to enjoy the beautiful weather, feed the large coy fish and play in the children's garden. You could say keeping five kids on task, between two adults, was a bit challenging. "Stay on the path. Don't pick the Flowers. Stay out of the water. Keep your hands to yourselves. Don't throw rocks in the fountains. Stop stepping on the sprinkler. No tackling. No playing tag. Watch out for the other visitors trying to enjoy the gardens."

As we wound our way back to the children's garden, the kids took a quick pause for a rest. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Max assume his meditative pose. I was impressed! In the company of some avid meditating friends, I asked my little man where he learned that pose. "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. "


Well, at least he was learning something! Max's buddy and Zoey joined in for what ended up being the most chill part of the entire day. We take what we can get right?

No comments:

Post a Comment