Thursday, July 3, 2014

Lesson #65

Unplug and enjoy the scenery

I am one of those moms that try to monitor the amount of television, iPad and other electronics with great frustration. No matter what rules or structure I try to apply, someone is always begging to use one of our many technologic distractions. Even Miles knows how to use the iPad. He started getting the hang of it before he was even two-years-old. Now, it seems they all fight over which show to watch and who gets to use the iPad or Leap pad.

This week, the older two kids were at a morning camp. I wanted to go for a run outside as the weather was amazing. I decided to take the chance that Miles might actually tolerate me taking a run as he say in the jogging stroller. I left the house with everything I might need in case he got bored: Leap pad, two snacks, water and his toy crocodile. I was pleasantly surprised when I got well beyond the half way point without pulling out any of my tricks. He was content looking around and asking me about 100 questions. This was a challenge in itself as he always seemed to inquire about things just as we were tackling a hill. Despite being very winded, I thoroughly enjoyed the run. We stopped at the park on the way home and had a great time looking at the horses and running around on the playground together.



I worried that he would put up a fight about getting back into the stroller to go home. Instead, he asked if we could run back through the park to see the water fountain and horses before heading home. He was so happy just munching his snack on the way home that I felt we could have easily gone even longer. It ended up being a great morning for both of us!

I am glad I brought along reinforcements for the stroller run but I am so happy I did not have to use them. It reminded me that given the opportunity, kids can often surprise you. Miles was happy just taking in the scenery and relaxing as we jogged along.

No comments:

Post a Comment