Sunday, July 6, 2014

Lesson #67

Raising a grateful child

One thing that we have really been struggling with is how to teach our kids to appreciate what they have and not to take things for granted. I get so frustrated when my kids expect things to be handed to them and fail to recognize all that we do for them.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when I cook a meal and all three kids have nothing but negative comments for me. I never really thought a six-year-old could hurt my feelings. But I was wrong. It also kills me when they complain about not getting something they want. They are so fortunate and do not have the insight to see how blessed they are.


I was having a conversation with my sister-in-law over the weekend. It seems we are both struggling with the same issue. Between the disrespect and the back talking, it is hard to feel accomplished in parenting strategies. We didn't really come up with any solutions to the issue, but it helps to not feel so alone with the problem.

My husband and I try to point out opportunities for showing gratitude. We try to explain how other kids aren't as fortunate as they are and that it is always important to speak with respect. I am not sure that it is sinking in but I suppose all we can do is keep being consistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment