Thursday, July 17, 2014

Lesson #79

I'm not the only coach on this team

As a full-time stay at home mom, I recognize my role as the head cook, caregiver, camp counselor, referee and teacher. I take this job seriously as it is the most challenging and rewarding career I have ever held. There are many roles to play and lots of juggling to do. My husband is amazing and is a great father and provider. I am lucky to have his support. But the demands of his job often prevent him from helping out with things at home. Evening dinners and meetings tend to interfere with my plans for shuttling the kids around to their various sports.

Anyone who knows me well is aware of my dislike for dragging all three kids to hockey practice. It is great fun for Max but less than entertaining for his younger siblings. Despite the cold of the rink, I am usually sweating by the time Max is all suited up for his practice. I am usually running from tying laces to grab Miles before he runs out of the door or picks up someone's stick to whack an unassuming bystander. Beyond getting ready for practice, there is the exhausting attempts at keeping Miles and Zoey busy until it is over. Snacks and electronics only go so far and I really hate resorting to having them watch videos the entire time.

Tonight was going to be one of those nights that I dread. Josh has a work dinner, same as last night. I have been thinking about getting past this night all week! But to my surprise, today at lunch, my whole mood lifted with a few simple words. "I can take Max to hockey tonight. I will just be a little late to my meeting. I don't care."



You would have thought my husband just told me we were going on a vacation or something. I was elated! My face lit up and I could not stop thanking him. I told him, "I owe you!"

But as soon as the words came out of my mouth, he reminded me. "We are on a team. It is no big deal."

How do I fail to see this sometimes? I get to used to adapting to his schedule that I often forget to ask for help with these tings. We ARE on a team. I don't need to feel indebted to my spouse for taking our child to hockey practice. It was such a good feeling.

Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful for his offer to go late to the meeting. I told him that this announcement made my whole week! But more importantly was the recognition of all that I do and him reminding me that I am not ever in this parenting alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment