Saturday, July 19, 2014

Lesson #81

Be the mom you want them to remember

Every mom would love to be the "cool mom." Wouldn't it be great to be the mom that all of the kids rave about? The fun mom. They best mom ever. The mom that kids wants to actually hang out with in their free time. I would love to be all of those things to my kids. The reality is, however, that in order to be the best mom for my kids, I have to be the mean mom at times. The no fair mom. The mom that doesn't understand.

I don't live in a fantasy world so I know that there is a balance. When I really think about the kind of mom I want to be, I think about what I want my kids to remember of me when they are adults. It is not possible to be the best mom all of the time but I can live my life as a parent trying to keep that thought in the back of my mind.



When my kids are raising kids of their own, I want them to think about how I raised them. In short, I want to be a role model for my future adult children.

I want them to look back and remember all of the fun adventures we had, not the toys I bought.
I want them to remember splashing in mud puddles and getting filthy, me right alongside them.
I want them to remember us having dance parties on top of the picnic table, belting out the Rolling Stones.
I want them to remember feeding baby goats with bottles. Them climbing my legs in terror as I was bumrushed by the thirsty, filthy little goats.
I want them to remember us all screaming on Space Mountain as I closed my eyes and held on for dear life.
I want them to remember staying up late and licking marshmallow and chocolate off our fingers after making s'mores.
I want them to remember night swimming in lieu of a bath.
I want them to remember me reading book after book, stopping every 8 seconds to answer questions about the lineage of Snow White.
I want them to remember us rolling down the hill, dashing through sprinklers in the neighbor's yard.
I want them to remember eating birthday cake before dinner.
I want them to remember us chasing the ice cream truck down in our bare feet.
I want them to remember shaving cream parties in the back yard and water balloon fights.
I want them to remember shooting me with water guns.
I want them to remember our pirate attacks and princess rescue missions.
I want them to remember us dressing up like ninjas and ballerinas, building forts in the basement.
I want them to remember catching fireflies way past bed time.
I want them to remember us snuggling in my bed at 5:30 in the morning, watching cartoons on a Saturday morning.
I want them to remember me teaching them to ride their bikes.
I want them to remember me teaching them letters and numbers with sidewalk chalk.
I want them to remember me kissing away their scrapes and bruises and breaking up their fights. 

More than anything I want them to remember me as a mom that loved them every single day of their lives. A mom that never stopped loving them even on the days that I wanted to be alone, to hide in my room, to cry out of frustration, to need a time out.

Being a mom is my full-time job. I love the job but sometimes need a vacation day. I know that when my kids are grown or even at the age when mom is definitely not cool at all, I will absolutely miss these days. What I can do now, is live each day with purpose and strive to be the mom I always want them to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment