Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Lesson #84

Don't take it personally

I am definitely a people pleaser. It is just part of my personality. I have always possessed the need to be liked by others. To a certain extent, this can be a good thing. But this trait also has some major downfalls. For example, I tend to take things personally and can be very sensitive to the opinions of others.

As a mom, many of my personality traits have shifted to a degree. My perfectionistic nature has softened in the midst of messy kids, never ending laundry and an unending to-do list. My spontaneous streak, once non-existent, has really brightened. When it comes to my need for approval from others...I am still trying to adapt.

Kids can be harsh critics. They don't tend to hold anything back, especially very young kids. They won't hesitate to tell you that they "hate" the clothes you picked out or to disapprove of your artwork. As a passionate cook and baker, I have always taken pride in creating delicious dinners. The arrival of my three kids into the world has put a little bit of a snag into my meal planning. But I still strive to change up the menu, making tasty and nutritious meals.

After a long day of chasing kids, doing laundry, wiping butts and cleaning up, cooking takes my last bit of energy. Sometimes I flat out despise the thought of cooking. So when I manage to pull something together that I think tastes pretty great, there is nothing more defeating than harsh criticism from 3 out of 5 taste testers. "I no like this. This tastes terrible. I hate potatoes. Don't you know I can't eat this? This smells disgusting!"



You name it, I have heard it. Now, this doesn't happen every night. In fact, it probably happens less than half of the time. But when I am at the end of my rope, exhausted and hungry, nothing crushes the spirit like a negative review from my number one fans.

When I think about it logically, I know they aren't trying to hurt my feelings. They will one day appreciate all that I do for them and even want to come home from college just to eat my yummy meals. I try to keep this in mind as I watch my two-year-old spit out the labor of love I have put on his plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment