Monday, July 14, 2014

Lesson #76

Break the rules sometimes

I have not always been a rule follower but I am one to set a lot of rules for my kids. Call me a hypocrite, but I like to think of it as learning from my mistakes. I think my kids do best with structure and it allows me to feel some sense of sanity to have rules. That being said, my personality definitely dictates my need for fun.

Over the weekend, we had a lot going on. In addition to my birthday, soccer and a get together celebration at a friend's house, we had a lot of good family time. It was definitely a departure from the usual structure and schedule.

Looking back on all of the fun we had, I think the best parts were the times that we were breaking some rules. We ate birthday cake immediately before dinner on Saturday and none of the kids saw a bathtub in over 48 hours. We watched the World Cup game from lawn chairs submerged in the swimming pool and I am pretty sure none of the kids brushed their teeth on Sunday.



Today is Monday and nobody seems to be suffering any fallout from the rule breaking. We are back on track with the routine of the summer and trying to be good little rule followers. I am sure we will be breaking all of the rules again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment