Friday, July 18, 2014

Lesson #80

Worst of enemies and best of friends

I know from personal experience that sibling rivalry can get pretty messy. But I also know that these relationships, the longest many people will experience, are the best ones I have. I have a brother about 1 1/2 years my elder and a sister almost four years younger. Presently, I have extremely close and amazing bonds with them both. But I venture to guess that my parents might have a different tale to tell about our childhood days.

I always wanted to have my kids close together in age. I know this comes from my own experience as a kid and wanting my offspring to have siblings within a few years. My plan worked out just perfectly. The only problem is that the closeness in age is at times a detriment rather than an advantage.

Stuck in the middle of two spirited boys, Zoey often feels out of place and left out. She struggles to find her place between them, yearning to do all big brother does. She gets frustrated by the mere presence of her younger sibling. They bicker all day long and at times, things can get physical. But there are also those shining moments when they do something so heart warming, I almost forget about all of the rough spots.

Today, I went to Zoey's Perfectly Powerful Princess camp to watch their play. Max was down the hall at his School of Rock camp and popped in to watch. Zoey lit up when she saw him walk in. She couldn't hide her excitement as she waved frantically from the side of the stage. Max coyly smiled back and waved.



After the performance was over, I asked Max how he was able to get out of his camp to come watch. He told me he had the choice to come watch their show or to have his face painted like a rock star. Anyone that knows my son knows that he loves nothing more than a good piece of face art. I was so touched by his gesture to come support his little sister. But even more important was how much it mean to Zoey.

No comments:

Post a Comment