Monday, June 30, 2014

Lesson #62

Let your kids be the teacher

Do I have a hidden desire to learn about the ins and outs of Minecraft? Do I secretly love building Lego cities? Not really. But these are my six-year-old's priorities. He is so passionate about creating his computerized hideouts and villages on Minecraft and is always adding to his elaborate Lego creations. He generally likes doing these activities independently but will sometimes ask me to participate. I don't always feel like I have the time or energy to fake an interest but it is important to him to show me his hobbies.



As I was sitting with him today as the other kids napped, I realized that these moments will not likely exist in a few short years. He will soon be annoyed by my presence and avoid spending time with me. My hope is that my taking an interest in his hobbies now, maybe he will be more likely to share things with me as the years pass by. For now, I know I need to relish these moments and give him the enthusiasm that he craves. He loves teaching me about his favorite activities and I need to take these opportunities to be the student.

No comments:

Post a Comment