Thursday, June 5, 2014

Lesson #37

Lead by example

I am not really an animal person. I mean, I love dogs, but that is about it. I am not one to venture out and pet animals at the zoo or want to feed goats on a field trip with the kids. Strangely enough, my kids did not inherit my indifference to wild animals.

We went on a little adventure to Grant's Farm today. The kids love seeing all of the animals up close and enjoy feeding the goats with the baby bottles. We have done this a number of times over the years. But today, we tried something new. The friends we were with invited us to go into the bird cage to feed the parakeets. When it comes to flying creatures, I am particularly skittish. I do not like the idea of being pooped on or having little talons wrap around my fingers. My kids were actually not opposed to any of these possibilities. They each got a popsicle stick with bird food on the end. The birds were not shy about landing on your hand or your head for that matter. Max, the normally brave six-year-old, was actually a little freaked out. He really wanted the bird to land on his head in theory but any time one got near, he jumped and screamed. Reluctantly, I showed him how NOT scary the birds were, luring them onto my own hand with their food. After several minutes, he was confident enough to allow a bird to perch on his head.




I definitely felt disgusting after this venture but had a very happy kid. Max was so pumped about the bird on his head. He wanted to call his dad immediately and we of course had to send a picture. Did I enjoy interacting with these feathered friends? Absolutely not! But I do not want to sway my impressionable kids against something they might really enjoy in order to avoid something I do not like.

No comments:

Post a Comment