Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Lesson #35

One day I will miss my shadow

Summer is here and that means a lot of things to a stay at home mom of three. I am blessed and cursed with the constant presence of my three little ones for the next three months. I have been busy planning a variety of fun activities that we often miss during the busy school year. We do have a lot of fun but I am quickly slapped in the face with the reality of very little alone time. Sure, my two youngest still nap. That does give me a little down time. But my six-year-old is always present, seeking my undivided attention when he sees the opportunity.

This is the second full week of summer and I am starting to remember what it is like to never be by myself. I cannot leave the room for more than five seconds without hearing little feet running behind me. There is no escape. I head for the bathroom and the door is pushed open. I go to find my shoes and Miles is crying, "Where are you mama?"



Today has been especially rough. We are normally out and about by 8:00 as the sheer volume level of the house is enough to have me gathering the troops to do something to stay busy. Our big plan today was strawberry picking which meant staying home until after 9:00. I was seriously about to pull out my hair as I could not even make a phone call or pay a single bill. The was nowhere to hide.


Every time I find myself thoroughly annoyed, I try to remember that in a few short years, there won't be anyone lagging behind me around the house as I try to get things done. The kids will all be in school and I am sure that I will feel pretty lonely once all of my house duties and errands are done without interruption. I need to try to keep that in perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment