Friday, June 20, 2014

Lesson #52

Appreciating a different kind of fun

When I look back at my college days, there is no doubt those were some of the best times of my life. I had a lot of fun and formed some amazing friendships that are still some of the closest I have. No matter the situation, we always seemed to be having the most fun of anyone else around. Whether frequenting a local bar, hitting a concert or just grabbing a study break from the library, there never seemed to be a dull moment.

Due to the fact that I went to college here and St. Louis, it is easy to be reminded of those days when visiting a familiar venue or reminiscing with college friends still living in the area. Last night was one of those times. A group of my college friends decided to take our kids to see Circus Flora down near our old campus. A genius idea emerged to take our kids to eat at a favorite college bar and grill. We all piled in at a long table. With seven kids between us, I am sure we drew plenty of looks. The meal was loud and chaotic with plenty of spills and trips to the bathroom. This was somewhat reminiscent of how it would look in the glory days, but with a whole new twist.

As we walked out of Humphrey's, trying to wrangle our herd to the cars, one friend commented on the "different kind of fun" we have these days. She said, "If you would have told the college me that in fourteen years we would all be back at this bar with our crazy kids, heading for a night out at the circus, I would have laughed in your face."



We pretty much all felt the same. But as I looked at my three kids, shoving puffs of cotton candy in there mouths, staring wide eyed at the trapeze artist, I realized how much fun this new life is. I still love a good night out on the town with not a kid in sight, but I also relish in their joy on a daily basis. It is fun to witness the fun they are having. I could never have imagined what that would feel like as a 21 year-old. But at the ripe old age of 36, I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment