Sunday, June 1, 2014

Lesson #33

Take pride in yourself

I am a pretty confident person but I definitely have my own insecurities. I can be competitive and I am known to be a perfectionist but when it comes to accepting compliments, I tend to struggle. Thinking about the typical job interview question, "What are your best traits?" I never like to talk about my best qualities. Despite my own reservations about taking pride in myself, I work very hard at instilling this quality in my kids. Today, I really stopped and tried to take a lesson from my oldest
son Max.



My six-year-old came bounding in the door from his baseball game, raving about his own performance. He was so excited to tell me about his strong hits and getting another player out. He had a huge smile on his face and was very proud of his performance. I of course praised him and encouraged him to keep playing his hardest. I think about my own accomplishments and realize that I would never toot my own horn about a job well done. There is definitely a thin line between pride and arrogance. This is something we are careful with in teaching our kids. But today, it was me taking a lesson and making a point to take my own advice to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment