Sunday, June 15, 2014

Lesson #45

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

I won't lie. I had been looking forward to a kid-free vacation for weeks. Taking off for Florida with my husband and some old friends kept me going through the last rough weeks of potty training and screaming kids. I had no problem letting go and getting into the swing of vacation mode the minute we hit the airport. But as always, there is a sadness and emptiness that hovers a little bit even during the best parts of the trip.

Being away from my kids for even a few days teaches me a lot about what is most important in life. Vacation would not be as much fun or relaxing if I didn't have three special people missing me at home. I can hear it in their happy little voices when we talk on the phone. They fill me in about all of the funny, sneaky things they are doing with the babysitter. From Miles pooping in the yard to sneaking down after bed time to steal the iPad for after hours use, there was never a dull moment during our time away. And as much as I enjoy lounging at the beach, enjoying cocktails and plenty of dancing, there is no place I would rather return than home with Max, Zoey and Miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment