Monday, June 16, 2014

Lesson #48

Dance like a toddler and act like no one is watching

I have been taking my kids to Music Together for over four years now. We started in Baltimore with Max and I now take Miles and Zoey here in St. Louis. they really love it and it is normally a pretty easy form of entertainment for the kids. Today, I just had Miles there because Zoey is doing a little camp. Normally, Miles clings to me, wanting to sit on my lap, hold my hand or be held during all of the songs. But today, one of our friends brought their 6-year-old son whom Miles adores. It was actually really nice because Miles just wanted to sit with this boy the whole time. But when it cam time for the freestyle dance portion, I found it super awkward. Miles usually insists that I hold him or at least hold his hands while he just jumps around. Busy with is older pal, my dance partner left my flying solo for a very uncomfortable rendition of the B 52's Rock Lobster. Don't get me wrong, I love to dance. Take me to a wedding or a night out with friends at a bar and I would be happy to tear it up all night long. But there is something a little different about toddler time at the neighborhood Jewish school. There are no cocktails or popular hip hop song to belt out with my girlfriends. I could not wait for the song to end this morning. But I decided to just embrace the discomfort and do the obligatory foot shuffle while all of the other kids danced with their moms. It wasn't enjoyable, but hopefully a little less awkward looking than if I had just stood there while everyone else danced.

                                                I dance much better with a great partner!

No comments:

Post a Comment