Thursday, May 8, 2014

Lesson #9
Material things can always be replaced

I really lost it yesterday. Just six days after shattering the face of my new iPhone, Miles managed to break my replacement. I was so mad that I could not hide it, even though we were out in public. I literally yelled at him and went on and on about how he broke my phone. Despite the fact that I was the one who let him run down the concrete halls of the rec center, I placed all of the blame on this two-year-old child. I felt remorse after but was still very angry about it.



This morning on the way to school, my six-year-old son reminded me that there are far more important things in life than phones. He asked from the back seat, "I'm sorry your phone got broken yesterday, mom."

This truly warmed my heart and made me feel terrible about my reaction the day before. Max wasn't even the one who broke the phone yet he felt compassion for me because of how upset I had been.

This is a big lesson that I need to keep in mind each day. I have three healthy kids, an amazing husband and the blessing of staying home with my kids. Material things can always be replaced. I felt so proud that my son is so caring and kind that he wanted to express his concern over something that made me so upset. I need to be more careful about focusing on the importance of material things around my kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment