Monday, May 26, 2014

Lesson #25

Falling short of expectations doesn't have to be a disaster.

The kids were all geared up to celebrate the last day of school with a celebratory dinner as a family. I knew it was possible that my hard working husband might not make it off in time to join us but I was hopeful. I knew it was a big deal to the kids so I was ready with a backup plan. If I was going to be flying solo with the kids, I would just take them to McDonald's, a rare treat for these kiddos. But I had a promising update around 5:00 that we could all in fact eat out together. I suggested their favorite pizza place or our neighborhood sushi bistro. They all jumped at the chance to eat lobster and the decision was made. But then the worst scenario happened. Josh was stuck at work and we were en route to sushi. I tried to convince them to go to McDonald's but what can I say? These kids have caviar taste! I reluctantly pulled in to the sushi place and requested a table outside. At least we wouldn't be bothering the other customers on their date nights. We ordered and ate, still clinging to the remote possibility that daddy would arrive at the end of the meal. No such luck. We were however joined by another couple, good friends of ours through Max's school. They politely offered up their company, giving up their own night out sans children. Max talked the husband's ear off while Miles and Zoey talked non-stop to the wife. I felt terrible for them but so grateful to be able to take Zoey to the bathroom without dragging the other two along. We ended up getting a chunk of the food to go as the kids were done well before most of mine even came out.



Was this the happy, celebratory meal I had envisioned? Absolutely not. But I did not hear one complain from the kids. Of course it would have been much better for their dad to be included  but the goal of the outing was met for these kiddos. They had a great time and got to eat at a place of their choosing. I declare it was a success after all of my initial disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment