Friday, May 23, 2014

Lesson #23

Put down the iPhone and enjoy the moment!

It is hard to believe that this school year is over. My son Max just graduated kindergarten and had the most adorable ceremony at his school. Opening with a moving slideshow, it was all I could do to avoid blubbering about how much he has grown and matured in the past year. Just like the 50 other parents in the auditorium, we were armed with iPhones and cameras, ready to capture every moment of the occasion. As I started strategizing the best angle to shoot video and take pictures, my husband told me to chill out and just enjoy the moment. This is something I really struggle with on a daily basis. I have been working really hard on limiting my time on Facebook and Instagram during the day while with the kids. It is so hard not to want to capture their lives in each moment. Even on days when things are crazy and chaotic, a part of me knows I will really miss the things that drive me nuts about my kids. We did end up taking a number of pictures, but really tried to soak it all up, waving and giving an encouraging thumbs up after his little performances. I know how nervous Max was and I am sure now that looking up to see our smiling faces was more important than looking up to see our camera lens and iPhone throughout the ceremony.


No comments:

Post a Comment