Thursday, May 1, 2014

Lesson #2
Surrendering the battle doesn't mean accepting defeat

If you are a parent, you inevitably encounter a variety of battles throughout the day. From getting dressed to eating meals, kids start to assert their independence very early on. In our house, getting three kids dressed and out the door is often the hardest part of the day. The biggest challenge for me is often the getting them dressed part. Even my two-year old is forming his own opinions about his clothing.

Recently, both my six-year-old Max and my 4 year-old Zoey have taken on  creative license in footwear. When it comes to socks, matching is not part of the plan. They both like to pick out different colors and styles for each foot. I recently stopped fighting this and gave in to the power struggle. But what I have started to appreciate over the last week of laundry has made that surrender a little easier. Rather than digging, sorting and searching for pairs of socks for three kids, I have taken on a new approach. I simply toss all socks separately into their drawers. It is saving me time and aggravation and giving them a little taste of victory and independence in at least one small part of their day:)

No comments:

Post a Comment