Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Lesson #28

Passion for learning comes in many forms

Today is our official first real day of summer break. I really wanted to kick it off with something fun, knowing that my enthusiasm for long days with the kids will fade as the weeks go on. We headed for the zoo bright and early. We got there when it opened and headed for all of the exhibits that draw long lines later in the morning. First we hit the sting rays and then on to the sea lions.


Max insisted on bringing along his backpack. He had been getting it ready all morning. I didn't have it in me to fight with him about bringing it in to the zoo. I reluctantly told him it was fine as long as he would carry it the whole time. I was pleasantly surprised to discover what he had packed and his motives for bringing it along. He had a few notebooks along with crayons, pens and markers. He wanted to be able to take notes about the animals and brought enough for the friends we were meeting. I was so impressed by his plan and the fact that he did not once wine about carrying his bag along. The boys stopped and wrote notes and drew illustrations at every exhibit we visited.

I often encourage Max to sit and read with me or work on writing. He usually appeases me but can fight it sometimes. I was so happy to see his initiative and to see him working so diligently on his own writing project.


No comments:

Post a Comment