Sunday, May 18, 2014

Lesson #19

Winning isn't everything

I will be the first to admit...I am a competitive person by nature. I don't like failure and I am definitely passionate about giving 100%. I think my drive is a great quality to have and I hope my kids will channel some of that. It is important to have a competitive edge in order to be successful. But there are obviously more important things than winning and being the best. \



Max has been playing hockey for almost a year now. His transformation into a talented player has been remarkable. He has become one of the best on his team and is definitely passionate about the sport. Today was a series of playoff games leading into the big championship. His team has been dominant this season and we expected them to do very well. We were flying in from Toledo this morning so we had to meet Max there, hoping to catch the second and possibly third game. But the coach texted to say they lost the first game and were out of the playoffs. We immediately felt bad for Max, discussing how upset he was going to be. But when we got out of the car to pick him up, Max didn't even mention the fact that they lost. He was excited to tell us about the great assist he had to one of his team mates. I was so proud. It really made me take a step back and realize that beyond developing into a strong player, Max has also been learning great lessons about team work and confidence. Of course winning is the goal but seeing Max learn and grow into a player with great character is far more exciting. It was a great lesson to me that there are far more important things in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment