Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Lesson #8
Motherhood: The hardest and best job I have ever had

Today is the sixth anniversary of starting my job as a mom. My son Max was born in the early hours of May 7, 2008. Since starting my employment, about four weeks earlier than expected, I have been peed on, hit, yelled at and disrespected in a way that would result in a major lawsuit at any job. But I take it all in stride because the benefits of this gig are second to none. No matter how many parenting books you read or how many "experts" dole out their years of wisdom to you, there is no preparing for how hard the job will be on a daily basis. But if I would tally up all of the big and small rewards I enjoy throughout the day, the good would always outweigh the bad.


I had the opportunity to celebrate Max's birthday at his school today. As I watched his teacher make him the center of attention, praising his uniqueness in front of hist peers, I smiled with pride at the son I helped to raise. Max's hilarious sense of humor, creativity, kindness and passion for life are all part of his special personality. When I look at him today, knowing that I have played a role in creating and fostering all of the things that make him special, I know that I am the luckiest mom in the world with the best job I could ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment