Friday, May 2, 2014

Lesson #3
Be careful what you wish for

I knew I wanted to have a daughter long before I ever got married. I am lucky enough to have a fabulous mom that gives great advice, offers support and has been a great friend. I always wanted to have a daughter to dress-up and do the stereotypical "girlie-girl" things with me. I have already fantasized about helping her plan her wedding, as it was such an amazing process for me. It seems like I may have gotten more than I bargained for with my 4 year-old daughter, Zoey.

This little lady has always been into dressing up and looking pretty. But things have reached a whole new level as we approached the fourth birthday. Zoey has taken on a new, intense fixation on all things wedding. As my kids ran around in an open field last weekend at a birthday party, Zoey spent forty five minutes collecting flowers for her wedding bouquet. I didn't have the heart to tell her that the dandelion arrangement she had so carefully assembled was just one sneeze away from disaster.


Forget the groom to be, Zoey is more concerned about her wedding dress. Inquiring about where my gown came from, this forward thinking four-year-old is already developing anxiety about picking out the perfect frock. I told her about the bridal store I shopped at and she wanted to know all of the details about how I picked out my dress. When I told her that my mom, mother-in-law, sister and friends came along with me, she became despondent. "I don't even have a sister! That is why we need another girl in our family. Who else can go with me to pick out my wedding dress?"

It is already evident that this daughter of mine is going to give me a run for my money. In addition to being a total "girlie-girl," Zoey is spirited, opinionated, passionate and independent. She knows what she wants and is not afraid to use her voice. Zoey is all girl! And to think, she is still nine years away from embarking on her teens!


No comments:

Post a Comment