Monday, May 26, 2014

Lesson #26

Toddlers and pregnant women have a lot in common

If someone made a food request of you for  pickles and peaches, you might assume they were pregnant. But in my case, I have a toddler with a very strange appetite. This kid requests pickles for breakfast, lunch and dinner...even snacks. When it comes to meat, he often has an aversion but cook up a pot of macaroni and cheese and Miles could eat more than a kid twice his age. I don't usually let my kids run the show when it comes to meals. I cook one meal for dinner and present it as a take it or leave it option. But when we go out to eat, I generally let them make their own choices. Miles is a comfort food lover, picking a tower of pancakes or an enormous cheese quesadilla for pretty much ever meal we eat. The kid will barely touch a bowl of ice cream but instead eats all of the toppings. This young man has been known to eat hummus by the spoonful but pushes away a cheeseburger. Just when I think I have his food cravings figured out, he goes and changes it all up. Once a blueberry lover, this kid now only wants blackberries and raspberries. He won't eat his waffle at the breakfast table but insists on bringing it on the ride to school, scarfing it down in a matter of minutes. Tofu in a bowl of miso soup? Yes please! But don't even bother with that fried spring roll. Miles can devour a bowl of feta cheese but turns up his nose at a slice of american cheese. The child will tear apart a filet of rainbow trout but cannot be bother to try a pork chop.  I am sure his tastes will mature as he gets older but for now, I am learning to expect the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment