Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Lesson #21

Inspired by fearlessness.

There is almost nothing my two-year-old son Miles is afraid of. This kid had a broken leg at the age of 18 months, attempts to climb trees with his big brother and even loves diving head first down the steepest of slides. But last night, his fear took on a new, edgy angle.



As much as I cringe to write about it, Zoey spotted an ant  crawling near her plate at dinner last night. She was very dramatic about it, backing away from the table, almost in tears. Have no fear, Zoey! Miles came to the rescue. "I'll get it!" he exclaimed as he jabbed his finger at the wily insect. He smashed it flat and then examined the mangled creature at the tip of his finger.

Sticking his finger right into his mouth as if he just dunked it into a scoop of ice cream, my fearless little boy proclaimed, "I ate it."

We all roared with laughter and gasped with disgust. Unfortunately, daddy was not around to witness this courageous feat. Max jumped for the phone and immediately called his dad to fill him in.

This was not exactly my proudest moment as a mom but it just reminds me of how innocent kids are at this age. They aren't as easily disgusted or freaked out by things like creepy, crawly ants lingering around the dinner table. It also helps me keep things in perspective. There are far worse things in the world to be afraid of than a tiny, perhaps delicious little bug!


No comments:

Post a Comment