Monday, August 4, 2014

Lesson #97

Be honest about your struggles

There is nothing easy about being a mom. Whether you are a stay at home mom or a parent that works outside of the home, the job never really comes to an end. It is by far the most challenging and rewarding career I have ever had. I am lucky to have a number of really good mom friends. Some of these friendships date back almost twenty years and others are less than a year new. All of my gal pals have their own wealth of information to share as far as parenting styles. I feel like I am always learning from them.


One of the most difficult things about being a mom at least from my perspective, is feeling like I am doing a good job. There are times during any given day that I feel like I am not doing a fantastic job. When the kids are whining incessantly, when they are physically assaulting one another, when they run and tattle on each other or when they throw tantrums. It is all I can do to not want to just walk out the door and scream on some days.

What I have been learning recently is that the worst thing I can do as a mom is to keep my frustrations to myself. Pretending that I have it all together isn't going to help anyone, least of all myself.

At a play date today with one of my oldest college friends, we were venting our frustrations with whiny kids that always come begging for snacks while we are out playing. It was so refreshing to hear how similar some of our hard times can be.

When it comes down to it, we as moms are often in the same boat. We can all learn a thing or two from the other moms in our lives. I feel so fortunate to have such a strong network of parenting experts!

No comments:

Post a Comment