Sunday, August 3, 2014

Lesson #96
A new spin on earning an allowance

Max is one of the most passionate kids I know. When he takes an interest in something, he is all in! Whether it is playing hockey, constructing complex Lego structures or collecting Pokemon cards, he quickly becomes immersed.

The Pokemon collecting is a relatively new hobby. I am not even sure how he got into it. But very quickly, it became all he wanted to talk about or play with. He has a few friends that also collect so that has taken it to another level. He is asking me to text their moms about trading cards and wanting to set up play dates to exchange and battle the cards. But it is not enough for Max to be interested, he also wants me to be involved. He has them all sorted in his collection binder and is constantly asking me to sit and look through them together.

For the past week, he has been asking me relentlessly to use his own money to buy more cards. He bought one pack last week and received a few packs as a gift from my mom on a visit. But that was just not enough. He keeps pestering me to buy more! I refuse to give into these pleas. But I did finally come up with a creative solution.

Rather than paying Max his weekly allowance for cleaning his room and folding his laundry, he will now be working for Pokemon cards. I usually pay Max fifty cents for cleaning his room on Thursdays. I also have been paying him an additional fifty cents each time he folds and puts away his laundry. I made an arrangement with him that I will buy a few packs of cards and keep them hidden. Rather than paying him money to save for the next few weeks, he will be able to earn one card per task. Hopefully this will keep his begging for Pokemon to a minimum for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment