Friday, August 15, 2014

Lesson #101

Know when to ask for help

I am used to staying home with the three kids. I work as an entertainer, chauffer, referee, cook, therapist, teacher and hug provider. I do my job all week long and look forward to the weekend when I will have reinforcements from my husband. But from time to time, I am left on my own to tackle a weekend of activity by myself.

Heading back to Cincinnati to help go through his mother's home, my husband will be gone all weekend. I know we all have a part to play in the process of sorting things out now that she has passed away. As a single mom of one child, my mother-in-law accumulated 33 years of memories and belongings in her three-bedroom condo. What results is the need for lots of help to go through all of these years of possessions.

I was totally fine with taking my role of handling the kids here at home so others can do work back in Cinci. But as this week rambled on, I felt myself losing steam. I haven't been feeling the greatest and I am still pretty emotionally drained. I thought about asking my parents to come in town to help but decided I would save that help for another time.

Fortunately, my parents took matters into their own hands and made plans to come give me some assistance. As I struggled through today with the crabby, bickering, back-talking kids, I felt so grateful for my pending aid. As I look at the three of them now, on each others last nerves, I am so glad that I accepted the offer for help. Even though I know I could make it through the weekend as a solo act, it will certainly be a lot easier having a team on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment