Thursday, August 21, 2014

Lesson #106

Never take the big (or small) moments for granted

One of the hardest things about losing a loved one is knowing that they will be missing out on so many important moments. We knew that our kids would be losing a grandmother in the next few years. She had been bravely battling leukemia almost since our oldest son was born. We tried to live life making the most of major milestones. She lived for her three grand kids so it was always important to her to be here for their major events.



Today I got a reminder about how hard it will be to experience big life events form this point forward, knowing how much she would have loved them. I received a call from the school that our DVD of kindergarten graduation from last spring is ready to be picked up. My mom and sister were able to attend but Josh's mom could not come. I really wanted the DVD for her to see as it was so hard for her to miss out. I tried to get it at the end of the year but the office was closed by the time I made it by. When I got the call today, I got choked up and felt so frustrated with myself for not getting it sooner. She really would have loved to see this big day in Max's life.

There is nothing I can do about it now but it is a good reminder of how I need to live for those moments. I don't want to have any regrets and I don't ever want to feel like I missed out on anything important. I also know that it is up to me to share these moments with those people who love and cherish our kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment