Thursday, August 14, 2014

Lesson #100

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans"

Two weeks ago, I would have looked forward to this week thinking that we would be unpacking from our beach vacation and getting stuff in order for school to start. But our lives and our plans were turned upside down 10 days ago when we got a phone call that changed our lives. We had gotten two hours of our twelve hour trip under our belts when we learned that my husband's mom had taken a turn for the worse and would likely not ever recover. Without giving it a second thought, we re-routed our GPS and started driving straight toward Cincinnati.

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans. " A famous John Lennon quote became the theme of my husband's eulogy for his mother's funeral just five days later. It was a favorite quote of hers and really struck a cord with me.

I am by nature a planner. Anyone who knows me knows that I am always making plans and thinking ahead. This devastating loss seemed like it could not have come at a worse time. I had been planning and planning for months about this trip, hyping the kids up every day! But no one could have predicted the course of events that occurred in the past several days.

As I look back at how things unfolded, I tried to really think of how to gain something from the whole experience. The kids were definitely disappointed, but they adjusted pretty well. I look at them now and they are not thinking about the trip that they missed. They are thinking about They are enjoying life in the moment, not planning for the next big thing. I could stand to gain a lot from this way of thinking.

I am trying to take as many positive things from this terrible experience as I can.  Life happened. It was not what I had planned  but at least we had the opportunity to be with a very brave woman in her last moments here on earth. She felt loved as did we.


No comments:

Post a Comment