Friday, August 22, 2014

Lesson #106

Mourning in the right way

When my mother-in-law passed away two weeks ago, the last thing I was thinking about was writing my blog or posting things on Facebook. We have all been so sad and it has been hard enough to get back into the  normal swing of things. My husband suggested that in respect of the mourning process, that I refrain from posting things on Facebook. I agreed and haven't felt like doing much of that anyway.


But this week, my grandmother-in-law requested that I get back to my regular practice of social media. Now that her daughter is gone, she needs family more than ever. The fact that we live almost six hours away makes it difficult for us to see her very often. She reminded me how much that relatives love seeing photos of the kids and that it brings some tiny piece of joy into their lives during this difficult time.

Once I really thought about it, it all made sense. I was afraid of posting pictures that might suggest we were going about our normal happy lives, not taking the time to mourn our loss properly. But realistically, I have had to go about with our normal lives to a certain degree just to make things easy for the kids. We have been doing our fun day outings and are now back to school. It is possible to mourn and to find enjoyment in life, especially through our kids. I know it is part of my responsibility to help keep the family united in any way I can...even if that means just posting pictures on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment